Saturday, June 18, 2016

Sprouted Whole Wheat Flour Review

It has taken me a while but I have finally come to the end of my bag of sprouted whole wheat flour. It was quite expensive, so I used it as much as I could. Here are a few things I learned about sprouted whole wheat flour that somehow no one had mentioned before I bought it:
First, I was unprepared for the green vegetable taste it imparted to my fresh baked goods. So I did not enjoy it in my chocolate chip cookies. I could even taste it in my zucchini muffins. Although the green flavor seemed to dissipate after a day or two, baked goods usually taste best when they are still warm from the oven.
Secondly, sprouted wheat flour tends to bake more crisply. So maybe I needed to adjust the recipes, but I just did not enjoy it in cakes, muffins, or pancakes.
At last, I found I enjoy the texture of soaking my flour rather than using sprouted flour.
All things considered I finally tried making Waffles with the sprouted whole wheat flour and found it to work splendidly. After all, waffles are meant to be crisp and the extra butter and sweetener involved mask the green taste well. I used this recipe with great success and in the end I think I would buy another bag just for making last minute waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment