Thursday, June 14, 2018

Moving Check-List

I have done a lot of moving in my life, but at this point in time, I have the most stuff to move. I now have a husband and children's stuff to move along with my own, but I have more personal stuff too than ever before now. It has made me think, 'Gee, you know, maybe I don't actually need all of this!' I have had to package it in boxes, carry it upstairs and down stairs, store it in paid storage, stack it in trucks and unload it into new houses where I have to unpack it, and find a place to put it all. I am thinking it is time to down-size.
I keep this stuff because it is useful and I, at least occasionally, use it. But, now I am wondering to myself, " how much enjoyment and comfort does this stuff bring to my life, if any?" Maybe what I should ask myself is, do I actually have this tool/decoration/scrap for me, or to fulfill some unnecessary expectation? What is the likelihood that I will want to use this again? Then, how much of this do I actually need to have on hand to enjoy it?
I grew up in an environment that promoted self-sufficiency and independence. So now, I quickly learn how to do anything useful that I can think of and stock up on the tools and materials needed for each project. I do this just so that, in a pinch, I can hand-craft my way out of any problem. This is probably part of the-baby-boomer-effect handed down through generations. It is thrilling in a way to think, hey I could make X instead of buying that. I do feel a very deep desire to have a handmade home and maybe that's part of it. To really make a home feels valuable.
The reason I wanted to write about this today is, having stuff or possessions complicating our lives is a recent passion/study I've been engaged in. I've been watching a lot of different vlogs and reading more about letting go of material possessions as a means to simplify our lives and free up our intentions to live in the present.
Getting all of my things together made me realize how much stuff I have that I just don't use, need or even want. I thought that I had gotten rid of so much stuff and now I know how much is left for me to unburden myself with. How many times does it take to move for someone to realize how much stuff they really have?
Maybe if I get rid of these old hobbies/treasures I will be free to try something new!
-Years later, I am now of the opinion that, there is merit in not having to buy again all the many little things that I thought I wouldn't use or just thought I didn't want to cart around anymore. My advice is to get more boxes than you think you need and start packing early, so you don't have to feel pressure about how much stuff you have. And get lots of helping hands, so no one starts to complain how many boxes need to be loaded. My Parents and Grandparents did not have to move as much as I have. They accumulated a lot of odds and ends and I remember how great it was that I could randomly find just about anything I could fix into what I needed. I believe there is merit to that and not having to shop all the time. As a kid I could use bits of wood, cloth, nails, yarn, twist ties, rubber bands and paper that I just found lying around in the corner of a drawer, cupboard, closet and it was awesome and it taught me to be creative and resourceful. Maybe being so very minimalist, tidy, neat and organized isn't as great as all the hype... I feel I should include a disclaimer, we did try to keep the house clean regularly, we just didn't organize every little thing into compartments like people seem to promote everywhere now-a-days.)
Here is my Moving checklist for mindful movers,  hah! It's amazing how much there is to do besides all that packing!

Cleaning Checklist
*Purge!
*Pack Everything
*Hold Yard Sale
*Dust all Blinds, Fans, Light Fixtures, Moulding, and Shelves
*Wash Walls
*Fill Nail Holes in Walls
*Clean Fridge and Freezer
*Replace Refrigerator Water Filter and air filter
*Clean Oven
*Replace Drip Pans
*Clean Oven Racks
*Dust tops of cabinets and fridge
*Wash Countertops
*Clean behind and under oven and fridge
*Wash out Microwave
*Clean Microwave Filters
* Clean out Dishwasher and Filter
*Wipe out drawers, cupboards, and countertops
* Clean Toilets, Bathtubs, Showers and Sinks
*Wash Mirrors and Windows
* Clean Washer with Lemishine and wipe out Dryer
Wash Dryer filter with dish soap and let dry completely before replacing
*Replace A/C Air Filter
*Check batteries of smoke detectors
*Check lightbulbs
*Sweep
*Mop
*Vacuum
*Treat Stains
*Wash Carpet
(2023 Update)
Well its moving time again and reading over this post, I realized it was unfinished and full of typos! Eeek.
Something to consider when you are moving is past mistakes to avoid this time around.
The most regrets I have after moving is getting rid of stuff that I just didn't want to pack, thinking I was purging something I didn't need.
Mistake #1 to avoid:
Purging while you pack to "save time and steps".
Don't ever purge during your packing process. It is far easier to give up just about anything if it means you don't have to try to find a box it will fit into. When you do purge, purge by catagory before you start to pack, only give up the things that you have been long-before-hand-thinking you didn't need or forgot you had that carry no sentimental value. Just because you forgot you had it before this moment, does not mean you will forget you discarded it when you were overwhelmed with just how much stuff you actually have to box up and carry.
Mistake #2 to avoid:
Thinking you can clean/repair the whole house in one day by yourself after you move.
It is better, if you can possibly manage it, to have time to rest after packing and before cleaning and repairing.
But, don't wait till you have moved out to clean your old place and fill in the holes. You will be so tired after the long days of moving and once all your possessions are moved to your new home you will be fully invested there and not your old place. This tends to make people not care about the old place anymore and caring for a space that is not your home anymore can be excruciating (especially if you need to clean your new place too) and can make you question if you really need your deposit back. (You definitely do!)
The best method I have found is to
Clean the hardest things even before you are done packing.
That would include, #1- the oven, can't emphasize this enough.
#2- the blinds (how does that dirt cement on there anyway?)
#3- in and especially behind the appliances (cuz I guarantee you won't want to mess with it later.)
#4- The Shower Walls (unless you are a super-awesome-housekeeper who already scrapes A-l-l the soap scumb off those tiles every week.)
#5- The ceiling fans (because you will probably forget about them way up there, and lets just go ahead and include all the upper spaces like on top of the cabnets, refrigerator and any shelves.)
Set aside time to clean your house real well ahead of your moving day, because after the rooms are bare you are gonna notice more scuffs on the walls and spots on the carpet. Before you deliver your last load of boxes, or before your leave to take your stuff to the new place. Give yourself enough time to "finish up". It takes longer and more magic erasers than you might think. Touch up the walls, wash the carpet, wipe the blinds and fans one last time. Make sure the appliances are freshly wiped out. Washing the walls and carpets is pretty much an all day event so you will have a much easier time if you don't also have to clean the large appliances. So I reiterate, clean the oven ahead of time, but also the refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, washer and dryer- like, the week before, so all they need is a quick wipe with warm soapy water before you turn in your key.
Mistake #3 to avoid:
Declining help or getting help and not having a clear plan for what you need them to do. People feel good helping and what goes around comes around so just be sure you are willing and help someone else move next time. People also don't like wasting time, so if you aren't sure what you need help with, here are a few jobs that are easy for the not-your-closest-friend-and-don't-want-to-see-your-underwear person.
Packing Books
Packing Unbreakable Dishes
Packing boardgames (make sure you put rubber bands around them so they don't easily come apart)
Packing outside equipment or decor
Remember that most people aren't going to value your stuff as much as you do, especially when they are tired and just want to be done, so make sure you don't give them your 'Great Grandmother's tea set', and use protective covers for your 'gorgeous oak table'.
Mistake #4
Thinking you don't need all the special packing supplies.
Having lots of those nice foam sleeves for you dishes makes packing them so much easier while newspaper gets heavy and there just is never enough of it. Save yourself the hassle and put plenty of those dish savers into your moving budget.
Also you should definitely get a mattress cover, dirty moving hands leave very difficult to remove prints and sheets will fall off and tear and no one will care- just get the mattress covers ok.
You definitely want moving blankets on all your wood things because even if you are careful, trying to get multiple furniture items through doorways repeatedly is exhausting. You and your help will definitely scratch up and ding all of your lovely wood bookcases, bureaus, tables and sofas, so cover and protect everythings, cuz those scars never completely vanish and you worked hard for that stuff.
There are specials on dollies and moving blankets and such at hardware stores so don't think you need to pay the mark up at the moving van shop. Also, where boxes take up A LOT of room when you are done moving. Moving blankets, foam dish savers and dollies don't take up as much room, so you can store those for next time so you don't have the expense then.
I hope this list makes moving a little easier for you, as we all know, moving is one of the most stressful things we have to do in life and doing these things seems to make things go smoother. Good luck with your move!

No comments:

Post a Comment