Saturday, December 12, 2020

Making and Using Homemade Laundry Detergent

I have now been making and using my own laundry detergent for over 5 years now. I have made almost as many formulas for laundry detergent. I also used soap nuts for a couple years, but I think I finally landed on my favorite recipe. The problem I had with soap nuts is that I frequently had to clean my washing machine with Lemishine because there would be lots of build up and that is probably because I did not remove my soap nuts for the rinse cycle because I could almost never catch it and then if I did I couldn't find the bag of soap nuts. But also because I could not buy them locally or order them when I was running out. The last time I ran out of soapnuts I couldn't afford to order them in bulk and I found a new recipe for laundry detergent that proved to be a keeper!
I use a 5 oz bar of Castile soap to 2 cups of homemade washing soda. This year I bought a bucket of powdered soap to use in this recipe instead of grating soap, and I just use 5 oz of it with the Washing Soda. 
Once mixed, I use 1 Tbsp for smaller loads and 2 Tbsp for large loads. I always fill the fabric softener cup with white vinegar in each load of laundry. 
For white clothes I soak with Hydrogen Peroxide and cold water first. I noticed after a year my whites started looking dingy and retaining oils. I soak them in hot water and dish soap to strip them and then soak again with Hydrogen Peroxide. It really does work great, but every few months you may also need to clean your washing machine with citric acid. These little extra steps may sound like a pain, but it is actually really simple and to me it is worth it to not be using heavily processed chemicals and fragrances in my home and wearing them on our bodies. Also, I can make a year's worth of laundry detergent and not have to worry about running out or budgeting for it all year or spending time shopping for it. So when all is said and done, it makes life much simpler for me.
Hope you enjoy it!
2022 Update- I have found a build up on my clothes and sheets that would not come off in the wash. I started using a natural laundry soap and oxigen boost, but it only mildly improved it. I stopped adding vinegar to the rinse cycle and I have been seeing improvements. I will update again when I have this figured out. I am going to try a soak with a natural shampoo next.
2024 Update- I have decided the best way to wash clothes is by hand. No other way seems to actually clean clothes. Maybe my washing machine is just not very good, I'm not sure, but one thing I am sure of is I don't have time to wash all my family's clothes by wash board, I would need better equipment. Wash basins, wringer, and a better washboard. I don't understand it, I grew up with a top-load Maytag that seemed to get clothes clean without wearing them out just dandy. I am feeling rather fed-up with the whole issue at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment