Sunday, October 18, 2020

The Harvest

 I've done some personal growing recently and have started to uncover a few "hidden wedges", I started digging them out and realized how awkwardly I have grown out from them and I am going to have to do some serious emotional pruning. If you have no idea what I am talking about, please read or watch this talk given by President Thomas S. Monson in 2002. I didn't fully understand what it meant back in 2002, but it has recently become clear to me why this was so important and stuck with me all this time. I'm making some changes in myself. Little seeds have been planted and now comes the harvest, not a big one, but I am hoping for greater yields in the years to come. (I like metaphors)

This year I successfully planted and harvested a garden. I had Roma and Cherry Tomatoes, Sweet Peppers, Zucchini, Green Beans (although they didn't make it to fruition they did come further than last year.), Rosemary, Parsley, Mint, Oregano and Strawberries. I also had Marigolds, some which survived the hot summer, Geraniums, Lemongrass, Citronella, Basil and Peppermint which were not as good at deterring pests as I had hoped they would be in my organic pesticide-free potted garden on my patio. This last spring I had decided to start small, but buying huge pots to grow tomatoes in, other smaller pots, organic potting soil, wood chips and organic fertilizer was not small on my budget. I am so glad I did it though because it is wonderful to grow my own food! My six-year-old even cooked and ate some zucchini! A miracle in and of itself. He and I have learned so much this year and I can't even tell you, if you don't already know, how delicious fresh veg from your own garden is. Planting seeds and seeing them grow into something I can feed my family has been a very educational, comforting, satisfying and faith promoting experience for me in a very natural way. I highly recommend it.

A recipe my six-year-old made up this summer is, Garden Fresh Minty Sauteed Zucchini, and I was all surprise how delicious it is.

Thickly slice a Fresh Zucchini

Add it to a pan of about 1-2 Tbsp melted sizzling butter

Sprinkle with salt to taste

Saute until they begin to brown and soften  

Add some washed mint leaves roughly chopped (about a TBSP)

Stir until minty fragrant

Add a minced garlic clove

Season to taste and enjoy hot

No comments:

Post a Comment