Sunday, July 19, 2015

Smoothie Operator

I never thought I would be a smoothie person. I read other blogs where it seemed like an everyday or otherwise natural occurrence in other people's homes, but I never got much use out of my own blender. One day I decided to make myself a treat to curb my chocolate cravings, since I was trying to avoid processed sugars. As soon as I started dumping things into my blender that old Dairy Queen experimentation kicked in. (I was the cook for a couple years at my local DQ during High School, but it was most fun for me to invent some new blizzard-like treat during the morning or afternoon slump.) After I rediscovered my culinary creativity, it became so fulfilling to whip up a naturally sweet treat that tasted awesome, even for breakfast!

These are my favorite smoothie recipes. However, I am frequently trying out new combinations and adding new things to make them better. Keep in mind most of these measurements are only "eyeballed" and adjusted "to taste" when I make them.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie

1 Banana in pieces, preferably frozen
1 Cup Coconut Water + 1/4 Cup Yogurt
(Or, 1 cup Kefir+ 1/4 cup Coconut Milk)
2 Tbsp Peanut Butter
1 Tbsp Cocoa
1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed
1 Tbsp Honey or 2 Dates-pit removed
Pinch of Real Salt

Blend smooth. This is just right for my chocolate-peanut-butter-fix. So good... Mmmm.

Summer Lovin' Smoothie

1 Banana
1 cup Frozen Strawberries
1 cup Frozen cubed Mango
1 cup Milk Kefir
2 tsp Mushroom Powder
1 tsp Probiotics
2 heaping Tbsp Collagen Hydrosylate
Pinch of Real Salt
1 Tbsp Raw Honey

Chop, Crush Ice, Puree and Whip in blender until blended smooth.

Plum Invigorating Smoothie

1 Cup frozen Pluot slices (about two plums)
1/2 Cup Yogurt
1 TBSP Honey
1 Apple cored and quartered
1 Banana in pieces
1 tsp Vanilla Powder
Pinch of Real Salt
1/2 Cup Raw Milk

Blend smooth.

Tickled Pink Smoothie

1 cup Milk
1 cup frozen Banana in pieces
1 cup frozen Raspberries
1 Tbsp Honey
Drizzle Vanilla Extract
Pinch Real Salt

Blend smooth.

Grey Matter Smoothie

1/2 Cup Oatmeal
1/2 Cup Yogurt or 1 cup of milk
1 Cup Frozen Blueberries
1 TBSP Flax
1 TBSP Honey
1 TBSP Coconut Oil
1 Banana
Pinch of Real Salt
1 tsp Vanilla Powder
Handful of fresh Spinach

If using raw oats, grind oats first, then add the rest and blend smooth.

Chocolate Cherry Berry Milkshake

1 Cup Milk
1 Cup Frozen Mixed Berries (with Cherries)
1/2 tsp Vanilla Powder
1/8 tsp Real Salt
1 TBSP Cocoa
1 TBSP Honey
1 TBSP Flaxmeal
1 Banana

Blend smooth.
This one is my most favorite ever!

Super Smoothie
Inspired by Dr Josh Axe

Small handful Parsley
Small handful Cilantro
Handful of Spinach
1/2 Apple halved
1 Banana, broken up
1/2 cup Blueberries
1/2 cup Mango
1 cup Kefir or half Sweet Whey and half Yogurt
1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed

Add liquid first, then flax and the rest ending with the greens. Blend smooth (I use the "chop" then "puree" settings.)
I know this sounds pretty weird but it's really delicious and energizing, even my toddler drinks some in the morning.
All these ingredients have either detoxing or antioxidant benefits and it extinguishes my morning achy muscles. I hope you enjoy it. You can always give it an extra boost by adding spirulina powder and gelatin as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment