Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Replacing Store-Bought Favorites with Whole Foods

I really feel that trying to duplicate all the store-bought convenience foods we are used to is a loosing battle. Some homemade things will never taste the same or even good enough to replace those items. This is because we are used to the taste of preserved and over-processed foods and there is no denying, although there are some tasty copy cat  recipes out there. An Oreo is an Oreo and when you want one, it's not something you can trick yourself out of. Instead of trying to replicate these things at home, I find it much more successful making homemade treats that we like just as well. Like a good whole food Snickerdoodle or some Brownies. There is always an exception of coarse, some Store-Bought  foods are actually replicas of homemade food after all.
Something I have always loved and had to learn to make from scratch was pudding. It is surprisingly easy to make I was so excited when I learned to make it myself. Then I learned that heating milk denatures it's proteins making it harder to digest. Well that was disappointing, so then I decided to try a nut milk.
Just as I found a recipe for Cashew Nut Milk I was ready to try making pudding with it. It turns out great and that's why I decided to share the recipe.

Chocolate Pudding
Inspired by Martha

1\4 cup Organic Cornstarch or Arrowroot Powder
1\2 tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
1\2 cup Maple Syrup (a little less)
2 1\2 cups Milk
2 Eggs
2 Tbsp Butter
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

Whisk together dry ingredients in pot.
Add milk slowly and whisking to combine.
Whisk in eggs and Maple Syrup.
Turn heat onto medium and whisk continuously until it thickens and bubbles and sputters. This takes about 20 minutes.
After the first "glub," turn heat to low and continue cooking and stirring for one minute.
Turn off heat and stir in the butter and vanilla extract.
Pour into serving dish and let cool until ready to serve.
Cool in refrigerator if desired.
Keeps in fridge for three days.
Note: If you would like vanilla pudding, leave out the Cocoa. If you would like a caramel flavoring, use whole cane sugar instead of maple syrup, and leave out the Cocoa of coarse. 😊
Maybe I will try making a pistachio flavor or a cheesecake option someday, but for now this is just great.

No comments:

Post a Comment