Monday, July 25, 2016

Berry Compote Takes Super Food to Super-Delicious Food

This last weekend I made an important discovery! I made some lovely Einkorn Waffles and added a berry compote and whip cream for a special weekend breakfast. Having some Compote left over, I was obliged to find other uses for it.
Thus I discovered by tossing some frozen strawberries and blueberries in a pot with a bit of Sucanat and cooking them until soft, I can make a delicious berry studded breakfast syrup to go on Waffles, stir into grass-fed Yogurt (the most tasty flavored yogurt I ever eaten, period), swirl it into oatmeal, and serve it over ice cream or even cake! It can also replace jam in the classic pb&j if needed. So Berry Compote is going on my weekly prep-list, with so many uses, such great flavor, and being so simple to make, why not make everyday a little more delicious!

I did not measure the ingredients but they were roughly:

1 cup Frozen Strawberries
1 cup Frozen Blueberries
2-3 Tbsp Whole Cane Sugar (although I'm sure Maple Syrup would substitute perfectly well)

Note: 2 cups of any kind of berries work great. I haven't tried it, but I bet other fruit would be great too!

Place all in a small saucepan over medium-low heat stirring occasionally until berries are melted and a pool of syrup has formed.

I just love it when few ingredients come together in a simple preparation to make beautiful flavorful food. I always feel making delicious food should be easy and simple. I suppose you could add spices if you want, but why not enjoy the wholesome and delightful berry flavor unadulterated?

No comments:

Post a Comment