Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Kitchenaid Grain Mill Attachment and Jovial Einkorn Wheat Berries Review

Today I made these waffles with fresh milled einkorn wheat berries for the first time, using my Kitchenaid Grain Mill Attachment for the first time! It's very exciting! I was able to purchase my grain mill a couple of months ago on Amazon for under $90 and I have been waiting to order my Einkorn Wheat Berries from Jovial until a week ago. I received my package yesterday with much enthusiasm and anticipation. I thought this morning I would mill a couple of cups of flour and make waffles for breakfast, but it ended up taking over an hour just to mill two cups of the berries so we ate the waffles for lunch and my son ate most of the strawberries for breakfast. (Yay, lots of folate for him!)
Later after the mill and the mixer had cooled completely I milled another cup of einkorn berries to keep refrigerated for later, since it took so long before, but it only took about 20 minutes that time. So I discovered the mill grinds one cup of berries at a time faster even though it holds two cups.
I have made the same recipe for waffles with sprouted whole wheat flour and my son loved them, but they were much more dense and I was very impressed with the einkorn wheat. I could gush about it really. The einkorn waffles were the best waffles I have ever had by far. I grew up on waffles and never really liked them, but these were delicious to me and although I know it to be a great recipe, the einkorn whole wheat just tastes so good. I am excited to do more baking with it, since my husband has never been a whole wheat fan (let's be honest, it has a very bitter flavor and harsh texture.) The fresh ground einkorn wheat, is like all-purpose flour-soft and it tastes way better. I can tell when I eat it, it is easier to digest and more nutritious, I just feel stronger and lighter when I eat it as opposed to regular whole wheat- even soaked.
You just need to try it for yourself, that's all, I heard many others say how wonderful einkorn wheat is and I had to try it myself. It is more expensive, but I feel it's worth it to be able to eat food that makes you feel renewed after you eat it instead of tired and ready to sit in front of the TV.

(Update 2020: My Kitchenaid broke, so for now I am using a High Powered Blender to grind my grains. I cool them in the refrigerator first to help the grain not overheat while it's grinding.)

No comments:

Post a Comment