Saturday, August 6, 2016

Replacing Store-bought Favorites: Tomato Soup

Grilled Cheese sandwiches with Tomato Soup is my ultimate comfort food. I have been trying to find a good recipe to turn my cravings away from that white and red labeled canned tomato soup from my childhood for a long time now. I have looked up a few recipes and today I made a tomato soup that almost hit the mark. It was good, it was simple and it was relatively quick. So we are almost there, perhaps if I had made it creamy with a bit of half and half and used chicken stock instead of water. So I'll probably embellish it in the future, but for now here is a delicious tomato soap to go with a grilled cheese.

Tomato Soup
Inspired By Jovial Foods

1 jar Jovial Whole Peeled Tomatoes
1 cup Water
2/3 cup diced Onion
1 minced clove Garlic
1 Tbsp Clarified Butter
1 Bay Leaf
1 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Whole Cane Sugar
4 flakes Red Pepper Flakes

Melt clarified butter in pan over medium-low heat add onions and let caramelize, add garlic and stir in a few seconds.
Add Tomatoes and water and stir to combine, crushing the tomatoes with the spoon.
Add spices and simmer 10 minutes. Remove Bay Leaf.
Puree in blender or with immersion blender.

I was so intent on my lunch I forgot to take a picture. Sorry, maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment